Friday, January 15, 2010

Over the Moon Unit 16 Hays Galleria, Tooley Street, London SE1 2HD

Over the moon is a cheap cafe in the  Hays Galleria  which is a shopping arcade near London Bridge underground station.
 
Over the Moon offers some of the best value food you could wish to find near London Bridge station.
 
The food seems to consist of various sandwiches some of which are made fresh while you wait, a soup of the day, various pies, chips, a pasta dish and possibly some other hot food.
 
I had Steak and Kidney pie and chips followed by Chicken Soup (Yes they were delivered in that order) and a can of diet coke for £5.10
 
The pie and chips were really disappointing.  I realise I ate there at about 1.45 which is towards the end of the lunch time period.  That is however no excuse for the chips which appeared to have been heated numerous times and then left to go cold.  I got them just about warm.  they were large enough but they were soggy and tasteless. 
 
The pie had been microwaved I think.  it had too much puff pastry which was full of air with just a bit of sludgy gravy and small stringy bits of steak and a couple tiny cubes of kidney in the bottom.
 
This was mediocre school dinner standard at best.  It was No better, and probably worse  than the cafe in Preston bus station about 15 years ago.
 
The chicken soup was somewhat better.  It was hot, it had a reasonable amount of chicken and vegetables in and it tasted as though some milk had been used to make it.  I suspect it was home made.  Disappointingly it came with no bread.
 
Staff were friendly.  They read me the menu and guided me out of the cafe afterwards.
 
The prices represent great value and for that reason I would probably go back and try some of the other dishes that might be less sensitive to being stored in a hot cabinet for ages.
 
I would consider going back to Over the Moon if I was in the area because of price and helpfulness of the staff.  The chicken soup did show some potential.
 
Overall I give Over the Moon 5.5 out of 10.  I will go back in the future though and change the mark up or down depending on my thoughts second time around.

1 comment:

Darren, London, England said...

Sounds like you had a better experience than me - I would sum up by saying that the regulars get preferential treatment - don't expect great service if you're planning on visiting during the rush hours. I won't be going back!