Tuesday, January 13, 2009

La Figa, The Mosaic, 45 Narrow Street, London E14 8DN

 
I visited this Italian restaurant with a friend who lives near by on Friday for lunch.  The staff were welcoming, portions were generous and the food was of high quality.  I would have no hesitation  in recommending this restaurant if you are celebrating a special occasion.  The prices are quite high though so i would say it is not really suited for casual dining.
 
I had a dish called beef carpaccio as a starter.  It is made with roar beef sliced very thinly with Rocket and other salad.  This was a bit of a mistake on my part as I would have liked something more highly flavoured but there was plenty of it and this was really my falt for not asking about the flavour in more detail.  Looking this dish up on the internet suggests that the main bits of this dish giving flavour are Parmesan, Rocket and Basil.  Still there was plenty of it.
 
The main was a ravioli dish with Gorgonzola and lots of cream.  It was quite comforting and rich and again there was plenty of it.  My dessert was a Tiramisu which was also plentiful.  I also had a lemonade, 2 large glasses of white house wine and a quantro liqueur coffee.
 
That lot came to just short of £45 which is definitely at the upper end of what I would pay for any meal at any time and is far beyond what I would normally pay at lunch.
 
I have no criticism of the quality of the food and staff are helpful and quite patient.  My friend has a guide dog and this restaurant is definitely guide dog friendly.  At this price however, I would expect the restaurant to have a website with an up to date menu including a list of the daily specials updated each day. 
 
If the price does not put you off then I would have no hesitation in recommending this restaurant as the quality of food and the size of the portions will not dissapoint.
 
I give this restaurant 6 out of 10. the mark is let down a bit by the price and lack of a propper website.
 


__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 3760 (20090112) __________

The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.

http://www.eset.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All very well for the menu and friendliness of the staff were not for the semi-slave conditions that the restaurant owners keep their staff paying them (cash in hand only) about half of the uk minimum hourly wage and making them work over 72 hours a week with 1 break a day