Thursday, February 19, 2009

Anatolia Ocakbasi 253 mare Street Hackney

This is a Turkish restaurant that appeared in Timeout's cheap eats guide a and a friend of mine wanted to review it before having her birthday do there so I said I'd go along.
 
It's a mid sized restaurant that probably seats 40 or so people.  things  such as kebabs are cooked on an open fire so you can see it being cooked and the cooking area and everything seems clean.
 
I had a starter of green beans with onion and garlic followed by a Lamb doner kebab.  I thought a basic doner would be a good way of testing quality.  The starter was pleasant though the beans were a bit overcooked.  I don't know enough about Turkish food to say whether or not this is the norm for this dish.  The lamb doner was in fact slices of real lamb.  It was a bit greasy but very tasty.  It came with rice, a big varied salad with coleslaw, parsley, radish, onion, raw carrot  and peppers.  I had to take some of it home.  portions were massive and they give you plenty of bread with your meal to.  I will be going there for my friend's birthday next month and hope to try Pide which is a kind of Turkish pizza I am told.
 
I was quite impressed with this restaurant.  Staff were friendly and a 3 course meal with a glass of wine came to less than £20.  I am looking forward to going back there for my friend's birthday.
 
I give this restaurant 7.5 out of ten while the meat was tasty enough I would have liked it to be more spicy.  there was chilli sauce but it wasn't really hot enough.  Again I need to try more Turkish food to get an idea of how authentic this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is not mayer street its mare street and thank you for coming we wish you come again to anatolia resturant the reson why the food is not spicy is beacause some coustemers dont like spicy food .Thanks Anatolia restruant hackney.