Thursday, February 19, 2009

Revisit Red dragon Halal Chinese Restaurant 86 mile end road

following Jacky's comments I thought it was only fair to go back to this restaurant last week and try it. The food quality is still the same to me. starters lack imagination and quality with an offering of chips, onion rings, spring rolls, crispy seaweed and prawn on toast. These things do not work well on a buffet and the quality in my opinion was not great anyway. the spicy Thai veg soup and chicken and sweetcorn soups were average enough. I found that the range of main dishes was a little limited. this is partly because this is halal so sadly no pork. I think pork works particularly well in Chinese cooking and it is often my first choice. That is what they choose though so of course I don't adjust marking as I know they won't have pork before I go in there. Beef in black bean sauce was probably my favourite dish. I also quite liked the special fried rice though it had got a little hard.

Last time I visited this restaurant my main criticism was the smell. I am pleased to say that the damp smell seems to have gone so, if I want some Chinese food at a budget and don't want to go too far I would certainly consider this place. It's not excellent quality however and I have to say I don't think I'd travel a significant distance to eat the food. I give it a 5 out of ten. If you insist on halal meat then the red dragon may be slightly more attractive to you but there appear to be at least 2 other options in the area, Michaels on Commercial Road and the Maeda Indian and Chinese eatery on Roman Road. I haven't tried either of them so can't give an opinion.


No comments: