Friday, November 13, 2009

Sea Fish 205 Upper Street Islington London N1 1RQ

This is a fish and chip shop in Upper Street which is full of take aways and it tends to be quite expensive.  This fish and chip shop has a restaurant at the back and a traditional take away at the front.  Generally fish and chips costs about £5 in the take away part and £9 or so in the restaurant.  These prices are what I would expect for a London chip shop.  Prices in chip shop restaurants are always ridiculously hyped and this is no exception.
 
The good news however is that there is a lunch time deal that allows you to get cod and chips for £5.  After doing some work in Upper Street I was pointed towards this chip shop when I stopped someone on the street and asked about any decent places near by to eat.  I am from Yorkshire where in many cases chip shops still fry chips and fish in lard or beef dripping.  these chips tasted as though they had been cooked in dripping.  They were fairly crispy and quite freshly cooked.  The fish also tasted fresh though the batter was perhaps a little bit on the soggy side but believe me I have had a lot worse.  I also had 2 cans of ginger beer and was charged £1.75 each for them.  this is ridiculously expensive for a standard can of fizzy drink.
 
The staff working in Sea Fish were helpful and were prepared to read the menu to me which is basically standard fish and chip shop food with a decent range of fish including haddock, cod, skate and scampi.  I suspect they sell Rock fish too.  Anyone who eats here can truly say they have tried proper British fish and chips as the meal should be cooked.  You could take it away and eat it on the street if you want an even more traditional and much more cost effective fish and chip experience. 
 
This is certainly one of the better fish and chip shops I have visited in London and I would certainly suggest giving it a go if you are in the area.
 
If you eat here you will know what proper fish and chips should taste like.  You'll pay a considerable premium to use the restaurant and I was particularly surprised by the price of ordinary cans of fizzy drink.  I still give this place 7 out of 10 because of relatively reasonably prices in the take away part of the business and the quality of the food.  This place is run by people from Turkey and it is to their credit that they have took time to learn to fry proper fish and chips in the British way.
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree, i'm a big fan of this place too !! The fish is meaty and chips def tasted like they had been fried in dripping which in my opinion is the only way to fry. I often chat to the owner who also owns the excellent euphorium bakery near by, but i'm certain he's a local cheeky east-end boy, certainly not turkish (although the staff all seem to be either italian or turkish) !! 9/10 stars from me - Keep it up guys...