Friday, March 12, 2010

E Pellicci Cafe 332 Bethnal Green Road London E2 0AG

This is quite a well known cafe which has been run by Italians since the
1950s at least. I have seen quite a few reviews that talk about the classic
looks and the friendly atmosphere of the cafe but I wanted to find out a
little more about the food so I went there yesterday lunch time.

This cafe sells a few home made pasta dishes and other dishes often found in
cafes such as chicken escallop with spaghetti or in a sandwich. On the day
I visited there was also a home made steak pie available as well as roasts,
chops, all day breakfasts and the other kinds of food one may expect to find
in a greasy spoon cafe.

E Pellicci is not really a typical greasy spoon however as many of the
dishes are home made and some attention appears to be paid to quality rather
than just providing cheap frozen products fried in the cheapest possible
oil.

I was told that ham off the bone was available and that chips were home made
rather than frozen so I chose Ham, chips, a sausage on the side and peas.
this gave me a chance to check out the basics which is often a good idea on
a first time visit.

The chips were hot, clearly home made, quite crispy but somehow rather
uninspiring. They reminded me of chips we used to get at school which were
also home made but a little tasteless. fresh fried chips should be a bit
comforting and warming and yes they do need to taste a little fried even if
they are fried in vegetable oil. These were better than fries but they did
not excite me.

The ham was of good quality and actually it was very plentiful though it was
cut rather thin. peas were frozen I think and quite acceptable for a cafe.
The sausage was not the thickest I have ever had and it was not up to the
standard of top quality premium sausages from a good butcher or supermarket
but they were a lot better than some of the economy poor quality sausages
found in many cafes and they at least met expectations.

I had a white coffee and a can of lemonade to drink.

The coffee may have been filtered but it was a little bitter and low
quality. It was better however than some of the really horrible coffee
offered in many greasy spoon cafes.

Staff were generally helpful and they did a good job of walking between
visitors and regulars alike and checking they were ok and the range of
customers was really quite amazing. there was an old guy and his mother
that I would have expected to see eating somewhere posher. I got the
impression this couple was known but that they were occasional visitors.
There were also a number of local construction workers some students and
quite a few tourists.


Over all, E Pellicci seems to be a good quality cafe that has become quite
famous. I have not tried the home made food and if I am back in the area I
will certainly check it out. I would compare it to Nico's cafe in many
respects. Nico's is Greek for sure but they also make quite a lot of home
made dishes. In E Pellicci the raw ingredients may be better. the
sausages are for sure. The ham was great though it could have been thicker.
Chips were disappointing and coffee nothing to shout about.

Over all I would go back to E Pellicci if I was in the area but I would
not travel a long way specially to go there. I paid £8.60 for one sausage,
ham, chips, peas and a coffee plus a can of lemonade to drink. I thought
this was a little overpriced so despite the helpfulness of the staff I can
only give it 7 out of 10


__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4937 (20100311) __________

The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.

http://www.eset.com

No comments: