Monday, April 26, 2010

rocket diner, 556 Mile End Road, MileEnd, London E3 4PL

Rocket diner describes itself as an american restaurant. It sells Steaks,
TexMex food such as Enchiladas, Fajitas and Chili concarne, a few pasta
dishes, burgers and of course chicken!

I will try something from all categories more as a labour of love than
because of any deep yearning to go back to the restaurant. I have been
there twice and I would say the staff have been helpful. the music has
varied from modern R & B and rap to 80s and 90s rock. The music can be
quite loud so if you don't like the music playing at the time its no fun.

The food takes about 15 minutes to arrive in my experience, slightly less
sometimes but its obviously cooked fresh in the main which is good. It's
another halal place so no ribbs available as a starter unfortunately.

The first time I visited I decided to try a burger. I don't havfe burgers
very often but I've lived in the area for over 12 years now and I recognise
the burgers that a lot of these places buy in or at least the meat they use.
There's quite a high beef content I think but it's seasoned to hide the fact
that its not that tasty. The seasonings are quite subtle, just a touch of
mixed spice perhaps and probably salt but the result is quite uninspiring.
Stupidly I went for a topping that included cheese and I'm not a great lover
of processed chese I just didn't remember how processed the cheese would
probably be when ordering. The fries were totally unremarkable. they are
also sold in a lot of the local places and they are just cotton wool! The
salad included a bit of cabbage, lettuce tomatoes, onion, peppers and
cucumber. I also had to ask them not to cover it in mayo. It's fattening
and as far as I am concerned its bland and just unnecessary

That visit was friday and the next visit was Yesterday, the sunday. This
time I made my visit the main feed of the day and opted for Barbecue Chicken
Strips for starters, and an Enchilada with spicy rice as a main. i had a
diet coke to drink which came in a glass bottle. at £1.50 a pop its not
cheap compared to the food prices

The chicken was a real disappointment. It was cooked far too much, to the
point where the chicken was tuff and somehow dry even though it was
smothered in barbecue sauce which was actually nice with not too much
vinegar in it. The chicken was plentiful but nearly inedible. If this was
fresh meat they had cooked it far too long. I suspect it had been cooked
and warmed up more than once and I joked on facebook that it may have been
seagul. Some chav could end up gunning you down in anger if you serve that
rubbish too often!

The Enchilada and spicy rice was better and edible at least though again it
wins no prizes. the Enchilada is a filling with chilli sauce rolled up in
something like a flexible pancake. traditionally I believe they are made
from Corn. It was a foot long and as wide as a thin baggett. there was
loads of filling and I didn't really need the rice. The filling was mince
meat and a bit of salad and sauce and while it was plentiful and quite spicy
I couldn't have told you what the meat was. I suspect beef but that is more
by texture than taste. It could have been just tough old chicken!

The spicy rice was a little tangy and was full of bits of onion, and other
vegetable possibly carrot. It was spicy but not particularly subtle. I
ended up leaving a bit. I was quite full and certainly bored by the end.

Apart from the chicken I can't say the food I had was awful. It was just
uninspiring. I'm going to put the chicken strips down to a mistake but I
didn't really want to wait around while more were cooked.

Staff were very helpful on both visits . They were fine about leading me
to a table and seemed happy to read out the basics of the menu . They all
seemed to have reasonable enough english which is by no means always the
case!

So in short, food was a bit uninspiring but the staff were helpful so at the
moment I would give Rocket Diner 5 out of 10.

I don't know if I'll be able to do the pasta dishes. If its just Spag Bol
or Lasagne I just don't think I've got the heart or the resolve to plod my
way through something that will have probably come out of a cheap packet. I
will see what the steak is like next visit.

#End

No comments: