Sunday, October 31, 2010

La Perla, Charlotte Street, London

I visited this restaurant 2 weeks ago for a friend’s birthday meal.  The website does not seem to give me the info about the location in a form I can read so Charlotte street will have to do.  The nearest station is Goodge street.

 

Staff were generally helpful but it was perhaps a little pricey.

from a food point of view I have always found Mexican places to sell various kinds of wrap such as soft tacos, burritos or chimachangas filled with mince that tastes like average chili concarne with lots of tomato in or spicy chicken. There was always lots of cheese, refried beans, rice, guacamole, sour cream and salsa. I haven't been to a Mexican for 10 years or so as far as I remember. Today I had Chorizo sausage with smoked chilli mayo as a starter.  This was a generous portion served  with a nice smoky reasonably spicy mayo.  For main I had Surf and Turf Fajitas which contained steak, prawns and scallops. You had to role them yourself which was a little messy perhaps and that main came on 4 plates, the meat and fish nicely sizzling in the pot it was cooked in with a nice spicy sauce, a plate of guacamole and Salsa, a plate with refried beans and some thin pancakes a bit like the ones you get in a Chinese to rool duck in. All ingredients that you would expect were present but no rice or cheese and not too much sour cream either.  This was a really nice main dish but at £17 it was a little on the expensive side.  The staff did not seen too keen on promoting the pudding. Maybe they wanted us out but I had 2 scoops of rice pudding to finish which may have been chocolate but can’t remember.

 

So in short staff were ok, prices were on the high side and food was  better than a lot of Mexican I have had.  I give this restaurant 7 out of 10.  If I was invited by someone on a birthday I would happily go to this restaurant but I would not travel miles on my own just to seek it out either.

 

Over all I give La Perla 7 out of 10.

 

No comments: