Sunday, April 17, 2011

A Passage To India, 76 Bold Street , Liverpool L1 4HR

The Passage to India has the reputation of being one of the best curry houses in Liverpool though it is said to be on the expensive side.  I had a prawn puri for starter and a Lamb  Jalfrezi with garlic rice as a main.  The quality of the ingredients were really quite good but there was absolutely no spice so I ended up feeling rather disappointed.  I have since seen an online menu available from Just-eat which suggests that the Jalfrezi dishes  are available  mild, medium or spicy.  On most menus Jalfrezi is cooked with chilli so I expected this dish to be quite hot.  We really should have been asked whether we wanted our curry mild medium or hot.  Neither myself or the friend I was with could see enough to read the menu in detail though he could read the dish names.  We therefore knew nothing about the different spice options available.

 

My starter and main dishes both came in a thick slightly creamy sauce which is typical of many of the posher Bangladeshi restaurants.  The portions were very generously sized  and I could probably have done with a bit less rice.

 

Over all then the quality of ingredients and portion size were excellent but the food was not spicy enough and we really should have been asked..

 

I give this restaurant 5 out of 10.  If the food had been a bit more spicy or we had been asked for our preferences then a score of 7 may well have been possible.

No comments: