Sunday, May 09, 2010

Byrons 222 Kensington High Street, London W8 7RG

Byrons is a chain of burger restaurants located in Central London and the west end.

 

I was looking for somewhere to eat in the Kensington area and checked this place out as I assumed the  prices would be reasonable as this is just a burger place after all.  It is a posh McDonalds.

 

For what it is, the prices are staggering in my view.  This is listed in the Time Out magazine cheap eat section but I don’t think it belongs here.  There are a few places in that guide that are cheap compared to a posh restaurant but not at all cheap  for what they are and Byrons is an example of this.  More information including the locations of the 7 restaurants in the chain and  the menu can be found at:

http://www.byronhamburgers.com

 

When I visited I had the 6 ounce classic burger which costs £6.25 on its own.  This is quite a lot to pay for a basic burger.  The quality of the burger was good.  The meat  was not too dry.  The salad was lettuce, onion and  tomato  with a little mayo.  The pickle was just a gherkin  on the side of the plate.  This was perfectly acceptable though the price was a pound or 2 over the odds but quality was well above average.  Its the side orders and some of the drinks that really crank up the price.  I had a Cream Soda which cost £2.75 and was just a standard can that you could get for 60 pence or so in a sweet shop.  I got caught out by that and decided not to go for any other side orders.  Chips were £3.00 and fries were £2.75 which is robbery in my opinion.  Someone heard me asking about the courgette  fries and offered me one to try.  Thanks for that!  These were just courgettes fried in breadcrumbs.  They had no flavour at all. Definitely glad I did not buy them.  In the end I went to Starbucks which may feature in a future post despite it being a chain.

 

Over all I can’t complain about the quality of the food but its far too expensive.  It Byrons is also licensed to sell alcohol  and this may help push up the price.Staff were generally helpful and they were prepared to read all the menu to me.

 

Price is really what drags my mark down here and despite the much better than average burger I can only give Byrons 6 out of 10.

No comments: