Thursday, January 17, 2008

Leons 33 Villiers Street

I visited this eatery on Friday 11 January after doing an assessment nearby. 
 
I have to say I was somewhat underwhelmed.  This place did after all win a runners up award in the radio 4 Food Programme awards held recently. 
 
I had Chicken Nuggets to start with.  This was just pieces of grilled chicken with a few bits of vegetable.  There was only 3 small bits of chicken and
there was no batter or spicy coating so to me they were not in fact chicken nuggets.  I expected good quality chicken in a batter that is as healthy as
batter gets anyway! 
 
For main course I had a vegetable curry and Basmati rice.  This was actually quite pleasant and was sort of a cross between a thai curry and a south indian
vegetable curry.  not particularly hot but then they do have to cater for a wide variety of tastes. 
 
I then had a drink consisting of fresh ginger, lemon and mint.  this worked surprisingly well.  As I still felt a little humgry I had a home made ginger
beer and a falafel wrap. 
 
Falafel is supposed to be served in balls.  That is how I have always had it and internet reading also suggests this is how it should be served.  This stuff
was like a thick paste and the wrap was not that filling.  I would rather the falafel wrap you get from Pret A Manger. 
 
So the starter and wrap were a bit disapointing.  the total for that lot came to about £14 and, considering it came in a take away box with
plastic knife and fork, even though I ate in, I thought this was a lot to pay.  Admittedly this is not one of the main Leons restaurants where the food is actually made but even
so for me this was not award winning food.
 

No comments: