Sunday, January 06, 2008

Salad +soup, Paternoster square

I visited this place on Friday on the way back from near the Old Bailey where I
was doing an assessment.  It is just around the corner from ST Pauls tube station.I found this cafe to be a real gem and somewhere I
will certainly revisit.

When I got in there I asked that question "what food do you sell" at the
counter.  at this stage I wasn't even sure of the name of the place i had
entered exactly.  The question "what food do you sell" often throws people and they just say something stupid like "everything". 
but the person who helped me just told me soup or salad so I asked her to
tell me about the soups.

They vary from day to day but on this day choices included Mexican
vegetarian and tomato and Basil as well as Bengal tomato or winter
vegetable.  I opted for a meat soup though which was a Toulouse sausage with
spicy vegetable.  I then asked about salads and the person who served me
went through the list.  I opted for a large salad bowl containing mixed
lentils and jalapeno peppers, a Thai mixed vegetable salad and a Spanish
Chorizo sausage with butter beans salad.  I then had pear juice and a
coffee.  I found this lot filling and the cost was just over £7.  Kate who
served me did a good job and I heartily recommend the place.

The soups are really thick and full of bits so they are like a stew almost.
The salads were good and fresh and there did not seem to be too many boring green salads full of tomato mixed lettuce leaves and a bit of cucumber.
 
It's nice to visit a place with good reasonably priced food and helpful staff.  There is also a youngs pub next door called the Paternoster. 

No comments: