Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Il Padrino 115 Oxford Road, Manchester M1 7DU

This is a large take away which apparently looks quite inviting from the outside.  It is certainly large and when I visited on Saturday it did not smell bad at all.  The member of staff who served me had a Manchester accent and his English was good.  Communication was no problem at all.

 

That is where positive comments stop however.  This fast food restaurant sells Jacket Potatoes, Burgers, chicken and kebabs.

 

Now admittedly I chose a Lamb Doner Kebab.  This is usually one of the lowest quality products on offer but I do expect some standards and the only good thing I can say is that there was plenty of meat for the price of £3.00 in every other way though the quality was poor.  There was no cabbage or cucumber for a start.  These are important constituents of a kebab in my opinion.  The nearest thing to cabbage I could get was Coleslaw which is cabbage I know but it’s also full of mayo!

 

The meat itself was spongy and it only tasted a bit of lamb. It also had a strange taste that reminded me of the meat I once had from an illegal hotdog vendor I once used near Embankment station in London.  I am no expert in the taste of off meat but I do have to say I wondered about the state of this low quality rubbish very much indeed.

 

I have looked on the web and found 4 or 5 reviews of Il Padrino  and all of them give the place 2 stars or less.  The unanimous advice is to avoid the place and I can only agree.  If you want disappointment and you feel like running the risk of being layed low for a week or 2 with the gurgles then go there by all means.

 

I can only give Il Padrino 2 out of 10.  The only saving factors are communicative staff and a lot for your money.  What you get is of a low standard however and there are plenty of other places near by.  In comparison, Stepney kebabs near where I live are beautiful and that shows how poor this place was.

 

 

No comments: